Williams County Courthouse

Williams County CourthouseThe Williams County Courthouse was designed by the architectural firm of Edward O. Fallis & Co. of Toledo and built in 1891 for $185,000. It was constructed by the firm of Malone brothers & Earhart of Toledo.

On March 10, 1888, the Ohio Senate passed a resolution to allow the commissioners of Williams County to either repair their old courthouse or to erect a new courthouse.  The decision was made to tear down the old courthouse and erect the new courthouse on the same site. The building, located at 1 Courthouse Square in the county seat of Bryan, is still in use and today houses the Williams County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.

The building features a modified French Baroque style architecture, influenced by Romanesque Revival. The courthouse is made of brick, Berea and Amherst sandstones and features marble stairs, floors, and wainscoting. The clock tower is 160 feet high and 26 feet square. An elevator was installed in 1961.  The clock tower, which featured a Seth Thomas clock, was renovated in 1976 when new clocks were added.

Williams County is named after David Williams, who was an officer in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War and was one of the captors of the British spy, John André.  John André was notorious for negotiating the betrayal of the West Point Fort with Benedict Arnold, an American Revolutionary general. The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)