Seneca County Courthouse

Seneca County CourthouseThe Seneca County Courthouse was designed by architect Elijah E. Myers and built in 1884. Located at 103 South Washington St. in the county seat of Tiffin, the courthouse features Neoclassical style architecture and is made from brick and stone with a cupola and entrance columns. The courthouse’s148-foot tower has a statue of Lady Justice on top.

In the 1940s, the courthouse was modernized and required the lowering of the courthouse’s tower from 148 feet to 107 feet. Funds ran short; however, and the statue was not replaced on top of the tower. The courthouse ultimately was demolished in 2012 due to neglect and deterioration.

Seneca County is named after the Seneca Indian tribe, which was the largest nation of the Iroquois Confederacy known as the “Keepers of the Western Door” for being the farthest west residing of the Iroquois Confederacy.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)