Madison County Courthouse

Madison County CourthouseThe Madison County Courthouse was designed by Columbus architect George H. Maetzel and constructed in 1892. Located at 1 North Main St. in the county seat of London, the building is still in use and today houses the Madison County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.

The courthouse is three stories tall and built on a Berea Sandstone foundation. It was the last of Ohio county courthouses to use Second Empire style architecture. The interior and exterior of the building have remained unchanged since 1892.  The interior features dark wood tile and pressed metal ceilings as well as several fireplaces.

Madison County is named after James Madison, the fourth president of the United States and considered the “father of the Constitution” and the “father of the Bill of Rights” because he was the principal author of both documents. The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)