Logan County Courthouse

Logan County CourthouseThe Logan County Courthouse was designed by Cleveland architect Alexander Koehler and built in 1870 for 105,398.08.  Located at 101 South Main St. in the county seat of Bellefontaine, the building is still in use and today houses the Logan County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions as well as the family court.

The exterior of the courthouse features Franco-Italian style architecture and is built from Ohio-quarried sandstone. The tall clock tower at the entrance of the courthouse is cased with galvanized iron. The building also features a mansard roof, which features a Second Empire style architectural influence. Logan County was the previous home of the Shawnee Indian nation and the Shawnee Chief, Blue Jacket.

Logan County is named after Benjamin Logan who fought the Shawnee Indians in the area in 1786. The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)