Lake County Courthouse

Lake County CourthouseThe Lake County Courthouse was designed by architect J. Milton Dyer and built in 1909 at a cost of $413,681.44. Located at 47 North Park Place in the county seat of Painesville, the building is still in use and today houses the Lake County Court of Common Pleas General and Domestic Relations divisions, and a courtroom for the 11th District Court of Appeals.

The courthouse is constructed of gray sandstone and brick and has large Doric columns at the entrance. The prominent stone clock tower is capped by a copper dome and a bronze eagle with its wings spread. The second floor of the courthouse interior is illuminated by a skylight and the first floor and second floor corridors feature Tennessee marble wainscoting. Statues of the Biblical Cain and Abel flank the stairway entering the courthouse; not to symbolize what is produced in a courthouse, but rather, to symbolize why a courthouse is necessary.

The courthouse and county derive their name from adjacent Lake Erie.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)