Huron County Courthouse

The Huron County Courthouse was built in 1913 and is a remodeled version of the previous courthouse, which was built in 1882 and designed by architect Vernon Redding but was destroyed by fire.

Located at 2 East Main St. in the county seat of Norwalk, the building is still in use and today houses the Huron County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions. The building features Beaux Arts style architecture and is built of rusticated stone and has a clock tower with a colonnaded belfry. Behind the judge’s bench in the main courtroom hangs a picture of Charles P. Wickham, a cherished Huron County citizen. Wickham practiced law in Norwalk before fighting in the Civil War where he commanded the 55th Regiment in a number of battles, including the Battle of Gettysburg. When the war ended, Wickham returned to be a judge and prosecutor before being elected to the U.S. Congress in 1886.

Huron County is named after the Huron Indian Tribe. The courthouse was placed in National Register of Historic Places in 1974.