Crawford County Courthouse

Crawford County CourthouseThe Crawford County Courthouse was designed by architect Harlan F. Jones and built in 1856. Located at 112 East Mansfield St. in the county seat of Bucyrus, the courthouse is still in use today and houses the Crawford County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.  

The building is made of brick, and in 1908 it underwent extensive renovation, which included covering the 16-inch thick brick exterior with stone and replacing the wooden pillars at its front with stone pillars. A large glass dome also was added during the renovation to provide for additional light. The dome was cleaned and restored in 1979.

Crawford County was named after Col. William Crawford, a hero of the Revolutionary War.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)