Belmont County Courthouse

Belmont County CourthouseThe Belmont County Courthouse was constructed in 1886. The building was designed by architects Frank J. Packard and J.W. Yost – Yost also designed Orton Hall at The Ohio State University along with Ohio’s Miami County Courthouse, Wood County Courthouse and the Perry County Courthouse.

The Belmont County Courthouse features Renaissance Revival style architecture and is constructed of sandstone. The building features a front portico with four columns, each with Greek capitals (a crowning on top of a column).

Located at 101 Main St. in the county seat of St. Clairsville, the courthouse today houses the Belmont County Court of Common Pleas and its juvenile and probate divisions. Belmont County is named after the French phrase belle monte, which means beautiful mountain.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)